William graduated as a Doctor of Medicine for Practitioners of 15 Years Standing in April, at the College of Medicine Newcastle upon Tyne, in 1899.
Educated at St Bartholomew's Hospital, he then became House Surgeon of the Brighton and Hove Hospital for Women and Children and Lying-in-Hospital, afterwards going into practice at Pangbourne, where he was Medical Officer at Bradfield College. From 1890 onwards he practised at Reading, where he was Senior Assistant Physician and Physician for Diseases of the Skin, and then Full Physician, at the Royal Berkshire Hospital, Medical Officer to the Prison, and Medical Referee to the Provident Life and other Assurance Companies.
He practised at 30 Portland Place, Camden Road, Reading, and took an active part in the affairs of the local branch of the British Medical Association. In 1898-1899 he was President of the Reading Branch, and in 1912-1913 of the Oxford and Reading Branch. He was also Vice-President of the Reading Pathological Society. He was commissioned Lieutenant-Colonel RAMC (T) on March 31st, 1908, in the Third Southern General Hospital, and served in that capacity at Oxford at the beginning of the Great War (1914-1919). When No 1 War Hospital was opened at Reading he was appointed officer in charge of the Medical Division, and took command of the Redlands War Hospital. He was also President of the Officers' Medical Board at the Reading War Hospitals.
He died suddenly from heart failure at Reading on Dec 23rd, 1918, leaving a widow, a daughter, and one son in the Royal Air Force.