Anthony Parker was born 1885 the second child of Thomas and Mary Jane Parker of the Market Place in Barnard Castle. He studied geography and history at Bede College from 1905-1907. He went on to teach as a Certificated Assistant schoolmaster at Southwick Central Council School in Sunderland. In 1911 he was living in Millfield there, with his younger brother who was also a teaching assistant, and their elder sister Jane kept house.
Anthony first enlisted as a volunteer in 1905, at the age of 20, with the 28th (Reserve) Battalion, Royal Fusiliers and became a Sergeant Musketry Instructor. In 1915 he enlisted with the 1st Northern General Hospital (Newcastle), R.A.M.C. His service records note that he served there for only 112 days before resigning and then re-enlisting as a Private, being posted to the 2nd Battalion then the 11th Battalion, Royal West Kent Regiment, later re-named Queens Own (Royal West Kent). He was (again) promoted to Sergeant on the 24 August 1916.
The battalion’s war diary reports that Linton was one of 338 casualties on that day of the Battle of the Somme:
"Battalion strength :- Officers 41, Other Ranks 737.
Battalion attached the German trenches, on the right the 15th Hampshire Rgt. On the left the 1 40th Infantry Brigade, on a two Company front. (Inf. Bde. Order No. 55 attached). The Battalion was only able to advance 100/150 yard from our front line, being held up by intense machine gun fire coming both from flanks and direct front. Heavy casualties were incurred in this advance.
The supporting Battalion having lost direction, failed to arrive, support was asked for, and 2 Coys. 12th E. Surrey Regt came up about 6 p.m. The battalion had in the meantime dug. During the night with the assistance of the 12th E. Surrey Regt, the position held was consolidated and a communication trench dug back to the original front line."
War Diary, 11th Battalion, Royal West Kent Regiment, 7 October 1916 (Ref: WO 95/2634/4)
There is no known grave and he is therefore remembered on the Thiepval Memorial. He is also commemorated on memorials at Barnard Castle School, the Bowes Museum, St Mary’s Church at Barnard Castle, the Durham County war memorial, and of course on the Bede College 1914-1918 cross, plaque, and Roll of Honour.